Thursday, September 2, 2010

First Post

Hello everyone! I have started reading Genesis and I agree with Jennifer. She talked about how important geneologies were during those times. "Be fruitful and multiply." God says these words countless times throughout the first book and blesses his prophets with thousands of children and grandchildren. Populating the earth was first and foremost at that time (even if it required a touch of imbreeding).

I also noticed a little wee bit of favoritism on the side of the Maker. How is it that Abraham gets everything when everyone else is left to struggle? He also seems to be somewhat of a liar. For example: Genesis 12:10-13. This particular passage shows Abraham beseeching his wife to lie about their marriage, telling the Pharoah that she is his sister, rather than his wife. This is to save his own skin and not only does he live, he prospers. "And he entreated Abram well for her sake: and he had sheep, and oxen, and he-asses, and menservants, and maidservants, and she-asses, and camels." Greedy much? I was always taught that greed is hateful, but I suppose I have never read the Old Testament and perhaps it is his willingness to abandon these riches that makes Abraham special. I do think, though, that his prosperity throughout the entire first book is note worthy and could perhaps be construed as something entirely different than fear of God.

Now, what really astounded me: Jacob. The man who tricked his father into blessing him, who was then blessed by the Lord. Sly little guy. He managed to slip under the radar not only once, but twice. Poor Esau, the diligent, skilled hunter, is cheated of his birthright, then his blessing. I suppose I have always assumed that trickery is something akin to blatant lying, which I always supposed was discouraged by God. Loopholes eh? Kidding. But these are the things that seem awry in Genesis, and I am sure I will find many more as I read.

No comments:

Post a Comment