Monday, October 11, 2010

Adam on a Bar Stool

"To this explanation of the mark of Cain it may be objected, with some show of reason, that the ghost of Abel is nowhere alluded to in the Biblical narrative, according to which it was not the ghost, but the blood, of his victim which endangered the murderer by calling aloud from the ground for vengeance." James G. Frazer: Folklore in the Old Testament

In a small bar in a small town there sat a man of a Biblical mind set. Innocently, I walked into his trap, that is, after he bought my friend and I a beer. We sat there, talking (or should I say being talked at), and soon the subject shifted to infidelity. He said "If you were in a relationship with a guy and he went out and $%#@$% another woman, would you just dump him on the spot?" I said, "Yes, if he lived through the first twenty minutes after telling me." Then, in his infinite wisdom, he said, "See! That's your problem right there. Men are tempted by women so women should learn to forgive them when they cheat. It's easier for a woman not to cheat because men don't try to tempt them as much and it's not fair that men should be held responsible when they do stuff like that. My wife and I went through that about twenty years ago and she forgave me like she should have." As improbable as this sounds, this dipshit actually had the gall to say these things to me. I just sat there, dumbfounded, speechless, in utter disbelief. I honestly did not think I would ever experience ignorance to this degree. Biblically speaking, though, it was right on the spot. It is, after all, the fault of women (namely Eve), that men are tempted to do evil. I did not want to inform him of the finer points of the Old Testament at this point, though, afraid that it might strengthen his detestable argument. After this conversation, I actually had a fit of laughter, picturing this man on Judgement Day saying about the woman he cheated with, "It was her fault! She made me do it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment